Title V of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA) generally prohibits any financial institution, directly or through its affiliates, from sharing nonpublic personal information about a consumer with a nonaffiliated third party unless the institution provides the consumer with a notice of its privacy policies and practices, such as the type of information that it collects about the consumer and the categories of persons or entities to whom it may be disclosed.
In compliance with the GLBA, we do not share nonpublic personal information about a consumer with a nonaffiliated third party, unless allowed by law.
In compliance with the GLBA, our privacy practices regarding nonpublic personal financial information of consumers and customers (as defined by GLBA) are as follows, subject to any exceptions as permitted by law.
- We protect nonpublic personal information of customers and consumers.
- We allow access on need to know basis only. Only title company personnel who need to know can access the information. Examples may include bookkeepers, title examiners, title underwriter personnel, auditors, closers and their assistants, management, scanning personnel, and claims related investigation personnel, including but not limited to retained counsel.
- We allow customers and consumers to review their nonpublic personal information that we have collected, and we allow them to provide us with requests for amendment or deletion of such information, to which we will reasonably respond.
- We require consent from a proper party to the transaction to provide nonpublic personal information relating to that transaction. On closed files, we require a written instruction by a party.
- We have implemented a security procedure for protection of nonpublic personal information: we allow only authorized personnel to review the information, and we keep closed files in secure storage, with limited access, or we store the files on computer with limited password access.
- We generally do not keep copies of credit reports, loan applications, and tax returns on consumers and customers.
- We don't share copies of owner's policies of customers on residential transactions, unless at the request of the insured owner.
- If we share starter title information, we don't share nonpublic personal information, such as sales price (unless it is public information), policy numbers, or amount of insurance on owner's policies issued to customers.
- We don't share nonpublic personal information, such as social security numbers, shown on affidavits of identity.
- We periodically inform our personnel about our policy.
- We don't share nonpublic personal information with independent contractors, unless there is a need to process the transaction as allowed by law, and the contractors agree in writing not to further share the information.
Copyright 1970-2022 Stewart Title Guaranty Company. All rights reserved. The use of this form (or any derivative thereof) is restricted to Stewart Title Guaranty Company, it’s issuing agents, and affiliates in good standing as of the date of use. All other uses are prohibited.