ALTA Endorsement 16-06 (Mezzanine Financing)
Attached to Policy No.
STEWART TITLE GUARANTY COMPANY
1. The Mezzanine Lender is: ___________________________________________ and each successor in ownership of its loan ("Mezzanine Loan") reserving, however, all rights and defenses as to any successor that the Company would have had against the Mezzanine Lender, unless the successor acquired the indebtedness as a purchaser for value without knowledge of the asserted defect, lien, encumbrance, adverse claim, or other matter insured against by this policy as affecting Title.
2. The Insured
a. assigns to the Mezzanine Lender the right to receive any amounts otherwise payable to the Insured under this policy, not to exceed the outstanding indebtedness under the Mezzanine Lender; and
b. agrees that no amendment of or endorsement to this policy can be made without the written consent of the Mezzanine Lender.
3. The Company does not waive any defenses that it may have against the Insured, except as expressly stated in this endorsement.
4. In the event of a loss under the policy, the Company agrees that it will not assert the provisions of Exclusions from Coverage 3(a), (b) or (e) to refuse payment to the Mezzanine Lender solely by reason of the action or inaction or Knowledge, as of Date of Policy, of the Insured, provided
a. the Mezzanine Lender had no Knowledge of the defect, lien, encumbrance or other matter creating or causing loss on Date of Policy.
b. this limitation on the application of Exclusions from Coverage 3(a), (b) and (e) shall
i. apply whether or not the Mezzanine Lender has acquired an interest (direct or indirect) in the Insured either on or after Date of Policy, and
ii. benefit the Mezzanine Lender only without benefiting any other individual or entity that holds an interest (direct or indirect) in the Insured or the Land.
5. In the event of a loss under the Policy, the Company also agrees that it will not deny liability to the Mezzanine Lender on the ground that any or all of the ownership interests (direct or indirect) in the Insured have been transferred to or acquired by the Mezzanine Lender, either on or after the Date of Policy.
6. The Mezzanine Lender acknowledges
a. that the Amount of Insurance under this policy shall be reduced by any amount the Company may pay under any policy insuring a mortgage to which exception is taken in Schedule B or to which the Insured has agreed, assumed, or taken subject, or which is hereafter executed by an Insured and which is a charge or lien on the Title, and the amount so paid shall be deemed a payment under this policy; and
b. that the Company shall have the right to insure mortgages or other conveyances of an interest in the Land, without the consent of the Mezzanine Lender.
7. If the Insured, the Mezzanine Lender or others have conflicting claims to all or part of the loss payable under the Policy, the Company may interplead the amount of the loss into Court. The Insured and the Mezzanine Lender shall be jointly and severally liable for the Company's reasonable cost for the interpleader and subsequent proceedings, including attorneys' fees. The Company shall be entitled to payment of the sums for which the Insured and Mezzanine Lender are liable under the preceding sentence from the funds deposited into Court, and it may apply to the Court for their payment.
8. Whenever the Company has settled a claim and paid the Mezzanine Lender pursuant to this endorsement, the Company shall be subrogated and entitled to all rights and remedies that the Mezzanine Lender may have against any person or property arising from the Mezzanine Loan. However, the Company agrees with the Mezzanine Lender that it shall only exercise these rights, or any right of the Company to indemnification, against the Insured, the Mezzanine Loan borrower, or any guarantors of the Mezzanine Loan after the Mezzanine Lender has recovered its principal, interest, and costs of collection.
This endorsement is issued as part of the policy. Except as it expressly states, it does not (i) modify any of the terms and provisions of the policy, (ii) modify any prior endorsements, (iii) extend the Date of Policy, or (iv) increase the Amount of Insurance. To the extent a provision of the policy or a previous endorsement is inconsistent with an express provision of this endorsement, this endorsement controls. Otherwise, this endorsement is subject to all of the terms and provisions of the policy and of any prior endorsements.
[Witness clause optional]
STEWART TITLE GUARANTY COMPANY
Copyright 2006-2018 American Land Title Association. All rights reserved. The use of this Form is restricted to ALTA licensees and ALTA members in good standing as of the date of use. All other uses are prohibited. Reprinted under license from the American Land Title Association.
For issuing guidelines on this form, see Guidelines