- October 31, 1996
- All New York Office Managers, Counsel, Recording Personnel and Agents
- Block Corrections for Instruments Recorded in the City of NY
There has been much confusion and controversy generated by the mis-indexing of instruments affecting property within 4 of the 5 counties (except for Richmond County) comprising the City of New York. The number of requests for block corrections after instruments have been recorded has increased substantially. Consequently, Joy Bobrow, the City Register, has written a memo, a copy of which is attached, outlining the procedures which must be followed in order for a block correction request to be considered.
The procedure involves the submission, to the Office of the Register in the County where the correction is being requested, of the following:
- a copy of the document which was allegedly mis-indexed. This document
is not to be altered in any way nor is the correct block and/or lot to be placed
on it by anyone;
- computer printouts for both the "correct" and "incorrect" block
- a copy of the tax map highlighting the property involved, and
- a letter from the title representative or agent advising as to which block and lot the instrument was indexed against, and setting forth the block and lot against which it should have been indexed, and where appropriate, an indication that the legal description and street address match the block and lot against which the agent or representative wants the document indexed.
This information will be faxed to Ms. Bobrow who will advise the respective office, whether the correction can be made.
A copy of the memo is available from our New York City office.
Should you have any questions, please contact Company counsel.
THIS BULLETIN IS FURNISHED TO INFORM YOU OF CURRENT DEVELOPMENTS. AS A REMINDER, YOU ARE CHARGED WITH KNOWLEDGE OF THE CONTENT ON VIRTUAL UNDERWRITER AS IT EXISTS FROM TIME TO TIME AS IT APPLIES TO YOU, AS WELL AS ANY OTHER INSTRUCTIONS. OUR UNDERWRITING AGREEMENTS DO NOT AUTHORIZE OUR ISSUING AGENTS TO ENGAGE IN SETTLEMENTS OR CLOSINGS ON BEHALF OF STEWART TITLE GUARANTY COMPANY. THIS BULLETIN IS NOT INTENDED TO DIRECT YOUR ESCROW OR SETTLEMENT PRACTICES OR TO CHANGE PROVISIONS OF APPLICABLE UNDERWRITING AGREEMENTS. CONFIDENTIAL, PROPRIETARY, OR NONPUBLIC PERSONAL INFORMATION SHOULD NEVER BE SHARED OR DISSEMINATED EXCEPT AS ALLOWED BY LAW. IF APPLICABLE STATE LAW OR REGULATION IMPOSES ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS, YOU SHOULD CONTINUE TO COMPLY WITH THOSE REQUIREMENTS.